You might only just be thinking about what you’re baking for Valentines day but it’s only a month away until Pancake day (Shrove Tuesday) on 8th March. Recently, I spied a turquoise mini frying pan in my local department store and decided I had to have it! You can buy them online here in a range of colours for £3.99 and they make perfect mini pancakes. They also double up as good egg friers too when you don’t have a pancake craving!
My friend and I tried out Gordon Ramsay’s cinnamon pancake recipe recently from his Christmas recipe book. We adapted it and showered the pancakes with blueberries, drizzled them with honey and added a spot of natural yoghurt. They were perfect for brunch! Gordon cooks three in a bigger frying pan but it’s more fun to cook in a mini frying pan. Admittedly for pancake day you might be going for volume rather than novelty but you could always have the mini frying pan on the go on a different hob!
For two people making 6 mini pancakes:
3/4 tsp ground cinnamon
3/4 tsp baking powder
pinch of fine sea salt
3/4 tbsp maple syrup (we used honey)
112.5 ml buttermilk
2 large eggs separated
1 tbsp sunflower oil
1. Sift the flour, cinnamon, baking powder and salt into a large mixing bowl and make a well in the middle.
2. Add the honey/maple syrup, buttermilk and egg yolks to the well and gradually incorporate the flour into the liquid by whisking from the middle and working outwards.
3. In another bowl, whisk the egg whites to peaks and then fold into the batter.
4. Cook the pancakes for 1 – 1.5 mins on each side in the mini frying pan
5. Keep warm in a low oven. Then add blueberries, swirls of honey and natural yoghurt. Yum!